If you’re looking to hire a magician for your event, it’s likely that cost is one of the factors that you’re considering. So how much does it cost to hire a magician for an event? The quick answers is, it depends. There are a range of things to consider:
- The type of event
- The type of performance you’re looking for (close-up/mix&mingle, stage, cabaret)
- The time of the event
- The location – is travel a factor?
- Length of time required
- Time of year – many magicians get particularly busy during periods such as Xmas, or on certain nights of the week, so may charge a premium rate for this
- Are there special requirements which will require extra work or preparation beforehand?
You’ll find magicians will charge a range of fees, taking into consideration some of the things above. One thing it’s really important to remember here – you do get what you pay for. While you might find someone who is cheap, that doesn’t mean they’ll be any good! Performing is a skill which takes many years of experience to perfect. If you want to ensure your guests have a memorable evening, it’s worth checking out the magician’s credentials and considering paying a few extra quid to get somebody who knows what they’re doing.
A few things to consider when making a booking:
- How long have they been performing for?
- Do they have testimonials on their website, or on external review sites?
- Can you watch videos and see photos of them performing at a range of events?
- Are they professional when you contact them?
- Do they belong to any professional organisations? (The Magic Circle and Equity are the main ones to look out for)
While prices will vary depending on some of the factors above and how experienced the magician is, as a general guide in London you’d expect to pay anything from around £450 to £800+ for a close-up magician for your event. If you’re looking for a stage or cabaret show, this may be more. If you want Dynamo, or a similarly famous celebrity magician, you’ll probably need about £25k for him to just show up.
If you’re interested to find out about hiring me for an event or party that you’re planning, fill in my contact form and provide as much info as you can about what you’re looking for. I’ll usually respond within a few hours!